Army Emergency Relief announces comprehensive enhancements to the existing home school assistance program, including assistance for tutoring support.
Please note, this program is administered by the AER assistance department, not the scholarship department. Therefore, assistance for home school and remote education may be in the form of a grant, zero-interest loan, or a combination of both, depending on your budget.
Here’s a brief rundown of the enhancements:
- Home School Assistance Program is now the Home School and Remote Education Assistance Program
- Assistance now covers traditional full-time homeschool families as well as remote education due to COVID-19
- Assistance available for Pre-K through 12th grade and undergraduate students
- Assistance also available for tutoring support
- The $500 assistance cap has been removed; requests over $1500 will be reviewed by AER HQ
- No restrictions on the number of requests
- Assistance will be provided in the form of a grant, zero-interest loan, or combination of both, depending on your budget
So what does this mean for Army families?
Effective immediately, eligible Soldiers with dependent children in kindergarten through twelfth grade are eligible for financial assistance to support costs associated with traditional home school and remote education. Examples of supporting materials include traditional supplies such as pens and paper as well as educational technology including computers, tablets, and software. The eligibility period for this special category of assistance is retroactive to March 1, 2020, and will continue until rescinded by AER headquarters.
Eligibility is extended to active duty, retired, and medically retired Soldiers, survivors, U.S. Army Reserve (USAR), and Army National Guard (ARNG) Soldiers activated on Title 10 orders for 31 or more consecutive days. USAR and ARNG Soldiers activated on Title 10 or Title 32 orders in support of COVID-19 are also eligible, regardless of the length of activation.
How to Apply:
In need of home school and remote education assistance? Use our Office Locator to find your nearest AER office and make an appointment to speak with the AER officer.
Visit our COVID-19 portal to learn more about COVID-19 assistance.
Help spread the word by sharing the Home School and Remote Education Flyer.
Are you an AER officer? Click here to view Bulletin 07-2020 – Home School Assistance Program or Bulletin 07-2020-2-6 – Home School Assistance Program – Tutoring Assistance