COVID-19 Response

Receive the Latest Updates:

Total COVID-19 Assistance Numbers:

710 Soldiers, $1.1M disbursed (as of 15 Oct 2020)

USAA Donates Over $5 Million to Support COVID-19 Relief

On Thursday, August 20, USAA announced a donation of over $5 million to support AER’s COVID-19 relief efforts. All Soldiers (active, retired, reserve component) and their Families are eligible for AER COVID-19 financial assistance programs. Review the information on this page to determine eligibility requirements.

AER’s COVID-19 financial assistance programs follow standard AER assistance procedures which may require visitation with an AER officer, personal budget review, proof of valid need, and other documentation. Assistance may be provided as a zero-interest loan, grant, or combination of both, depending on your budget. In some cases, zero-interest loans may be converted to grants at a later time.

What's Your Situation?

Active Duty affected by COVID-19

Soldiers who cannot visit their local AER office or other military aid society due to social distancing or affected by the DOD travel ban.

Bulletin 02-2020 – Assistance via EFT


Title 10/32 affected by COVID-19

USAR & ARNG activated in response to COVID-19. Assistance for personal transportation and basic living expenses. Eligibility for the duration of activation plus 30 days after deactivation.

Bulletin 05-2020-01 – Expanded Assistance for USAR & ARNG


Non-Title 10/32 SGLI, FSGLI, & TRICARE Assistance

Assistance for SGLI, FSGLI, or TRICARE insurance premiums for USAR and ARNG Soldiers affected by the cancelation of Battle Assembly or loss of income.

COVID-19 – SGLI, FSGLI, & TRICARE Assistance for USAR & ARNG (Bulletin 06-2020-01)


Non-Title 10 affected by DOD Travel Ban

Assistance for non-Title 10 ARNG and USAR on a case-by-case basis when experiencing extreme or unusual financial hardship due to a canceled deployment or the DOD travel ban.


Dignified Storage of Remains

Active duty Soldiers, including Title 10 orders for more than 30 days and USAR/ARNG activated in support of COVID-19, who are experiencing a delay in funerals/burials.

COVID-19 – Dignified Storage of Remains (Bulletin 04-2020)

COVID-19 – Dignified Storage of Remains (USAR & ARNG) (Bulletin 04-2020-1)


AER Closure / No Support Available

AER assistance is available through the American Red Cross. Call 1-877-272-7337 select option 1 for financial assistance. Or, use our Office Locator to find additional military aid offices.

Office Locator

Routine Request / Non-COVID

Routine assistance requests where the local AER officer is available will be processed using standard AER procedures. Contact your nearest AER office using our Office Locator tool.

Office Locator

Civilian Federal Employee

The Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund (FEEA) is the only nonprofit organization devoted to providing emergency financial assistance to the civilian federal and postal public servants and their families.

Visit FEEA Website

Want to help?

Requests for financial assistance increase during times of crisis and we rely on the generosity of donors to support our soldiers with grants and zero-interest loans.

Donate Now

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can my Spouse obtain AER assistance if I’m deployed or TDY?

    Yes, a Spouse or other eligible dependent may seek AER assistance without their sponsor being present when the Soldier is unavailable.

    Unavailable is defined as:

    1. When the Soldier is outside the same geographic area as the dependent due to TDY, field exercise, or deployment.
    2. When the Soldier is inside the same geographic area and determined by the chain of command that the Soldier will be unavailable to visit the local AER office in a timely manner to meet a valid emergency need.
    3. When the Retired Soldier is working outside the local/primary area where the Family resides, hospitalized, incarcerated or otherwise unavailable for a legitimate reason that would prevent them from requesting assistance.

    Options for requesting assistance when the Soldier is unavailable:

    • Special Power of Attorney (SPOA)
      • Spouses or other authorized dependent must have a valid SPOA from their Sponsor granting them authority to act as the Sponsor’s attorney-in-fact to “establish, change, or stop allotments” as required by Financial Management Regulation DoD 7000.14-R, para 400803.
      • Note:  “A general power of attorney is not acceptable to establish, change or stop and allotment.” (FMR 7000.14-R, para 400803)
    • Account Allotment and Authorization Form (AER Form 55)
      • Allows Active Duty or Retired Soldiers to provide one-time authority for a Spouse or other eligible dependent to obtain financial assistance in the name of the Soldier when they are unavailable.  Upon request, the AER Form 55 will can be initiated by the local AER Officer.  The AER Officer will email the form directly to the Active Duty or Retired Soldier for signature on behalf of the eligible Family member.
    • Email from the Active Duty Soldier’s .mil account stating they concur with the assistance, dollar amount and repayment
      • Under no circumstance can a personal email account be used to provide concurrence.
  • Is there a dollar limit on AER Assistance?

    Every request is unique and considered on an individual basis. There is no upper limit for AER support, however, the most common assistance we provide is $1,500 for a 15-month loan.

    Some categories of assistance have dollar limits while other categories have requirements related to grants versus loans.

  • Do I have to contribute to AER to receive assistance?

    No. All eligible requests will be considered regardless of prior contributions.

Read more FAQs