Zero-Interest Loans and Grants
Categories of Assistance
All assistance requests are unique and considered on an individual basis.
- Emergency Travel
- Mortgage, Rent, Initial Deposit
- Temporary Lodging
- Healthcare (not covered by Tricare)
- Vehicle Costs (repair, replace, rental, fuel, monthly payment)
- Vehicle Insurance (or deductible)
- Funeral Expenses
- Basic Essential Furniture
- Appliance Costs (repair, replace)
- Cranial Helmets
- PCS Travel
- Child Car Seats
- Dental Care (for dependents)
- Home Repair (or deductible)
- Non-Medical Attendant Travel
- Invitational Travel Order
- Safe Travel (due to domestic violence)
- Welcome Home Travel
- Immigration & Passport Fees (for dependents)
- Special Needs Medical Equipment
- Spouse Relicensing / Recertification (associated PCS)
- Child Care (associated with PCS)
Three Ways to Apply
1. Talk to your Chain of Command
The fastest and most effective way to request financial assistance through AER is to talk to your chain of command. Your chain of command has the power to approve immediate financial assistance up to $2,000. Your chain of command can also refer you to the on-post AER officer. Your chain of command is empowered to help. Just ask!
2. Visit your AER Officer
Any Soldier (active or retired) can visit their nearest AER officer. Officers are conveniently located at nearly every Army installation around the world. No Army base nearby? No problem! Soldiers can visit any military installation and request AER assistance from any military aid society.Find your nearest office
3. Call the American Red Cross
Not located within 50 miles of a military installation? The American Red Cross is authorized to provide financial assistance on behalf of AER. Call the American Red Cross at 1-877-272-7337 then select the option for financial assistance.See if you're within 50 miles of an office
Already Have an Existing Loan?
Service your loan with DFAS allotment, online payment, or snail mail. Click below to learn more.Manage your loan
- A hand-up for Soldiers
Quick Assist Program
AER’s most powerful program. Company Commanders or First Sergeants can approve financial assistance up to $2,000. Last year, 8,000 Soldiers received over $10 million in financial assistance from their chain of command. Give leadership the opportunity to help. Talk to your chain of command.
Wounded Warrior Assistance Program (AW2)
Soldier for life! Army Wounded Warriors receive personal access to AER assistance. Soldiers in the AW2 program can reach out to their advocate or AER headquarters for financial assistance. AER has provided over $15 million to more than 6,000 Soldiers since the launch of our AW2 assistance program.
Surviving spouses of active and retired Soldiers receive grant assistance approved requests. Monthly financial stipends may be provided for the most destitute. AER provided $2 million in survivor assistance last year.
Wounded Warrior Comfort Grants
Soldiers medically evacuated from a hostile fire or imminent danger area, peace keeping operations, or training exercises within CONUS receive immediate financial assistance. A $1,000 grant is provided at the time of hospitalization. AER has provided over $3 million in comfort grants since inception.
Spouses and children of active and retired Soldiers are eligible for educational scholarship programs. AER provides over $9 million in educational scholarships every year.Learn More
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible for AER assistance?
- Soldiers on active duty and their family.
- Soldiers retired from active duty because of longevity, retired upon reaching age 60 (Reserve Component), or medically retired, and their family.
- Widows/Widowers and orphans of Soldiers who died while on active duty or while retired.
- Members of the Reserve Component of the Army (Army National Guard and Army Reserve under Title 10 U.S.C.) on continuous active duty for more than 30 consecutive days and their eligible Family members.
Can my spouse obtain AER assistance if I’m deployed or TDY?
Yes, provided your Spouse has Special Power of Attorney and a Valid Military ID Card.
Is there a dollar limit on AER Assistance?
No. Every request is unique and considered on an individual basis.