Army Emergency Relief has an assistance program to help Army families address the costs associated with childcare.
The United States Army provides high-quality childcare at most Army installations. In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, many of the Army’s childcare facilities are operating under reduced capacity and some have even temporarily closed, forcing Army families to look outside the gate for childcare. Private childcare providers are experiencing the same challenge, with most facilities reducing their capacity or closing until the pandemic ends.
Reduced capacity and closure of childcare facilities present a daunting financial challenge for some Army families. To help those families address the financial challenge, AER established a childcare assistance program aimed at providing needs-based grants to help Army families afford expensive private childcare options. The childcare assistance helps Soldiers focus on his or her mission and supports spouses’ professional careers.
Active-duty Soldiers and their eligible family members, such as dependent spouses, and members of the Reserve Component on Title 10 orders for more than 30 consecutive days (and their eligible family members) are eligible.
What are the basic guidelines?
- Assistance for before/after school care, childcare facility, nursery school or private licensed sitter, or private licensed caregiver for an Exceptional Family Member
- Recipient of childcare must be age 12 or younger
- Spouse must be employed a minimum of 16 hours per week or pursuing a college degree, minimum 6 credit hours per semester
- Proof of reduced capacity or childcare center closure required
- No limits on the amount of assistance provided
- Approval for up to 3 months of assistance, per request, no limit on requests
How To Request Assistance:
Assistance requests are processed by your nearest AER officer. Use our Office Locator tool to find your nearest AER Office.
Are you an AER officer?
- Download the Childcare Assistance guidance (Bulletin 14-2020)
- Download the Childcare Assistance flyer