DoD Travel Ban / PCS Stop Movement

Visit AER Office (where possible)

The fastest way to receive financial assistance is by visiting your nearest AER office or other military aid society. Find your nearest office using our Office Locator.

Soldiers who cannot visit their nearest military aid office should follow the steps below to submit an electronic request for Assistance via EFT.

Step 1: Notify Your Chain of Command

Active duty soldiers should notify their chain of command that COVID-19 restrictions have caused financial hardship and work with them to submit a request for Assistance via EFT. If you do not hear back from your chain of command, continue on with the process outlined below and submit your request while making further attempts to notify your chain of command.

Retired Soldiers and Survivors should follow the Assistance via EFT to submit their applications directly to the AER Section without chain of command notification.

Step 2: Submit Request for Assistance via EFT

Follow the steps below:

Notify your local AER officer of your intent to submit an assistance application and request a DoD Safe secure document upload link. Use the DoD Safe link provided by your local AER officer to securely transmit your assistance application with the documents below.

  1. AER Form 101, Application for Financial Assistance
  2. AER Form 57, AER Budget Planning Sheet
  3. AER Form 575, AER Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Authorization
  4. Supporting documents validating financial need

Secure transmission: Soldiers and Family members will ensure documents containing Personally Identifiable Information (PII) are only transmitted electronically through a secure means i.e. DoD SAFE.

Return to main COVID-19 page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who is eligible for AER assistance?

    • Soldiers on active duty and their eligible dependents
    • Army Reserve and National Guard Soldiers activated on Title 10 orders for more than 30 days and their eligible dependents
    • Soldiers retired for longevity, medical, or upon reaching age 60 (reserve component) and their eligible dependents
    • Surviving spouses who have not remarried and children of Soldiers who died on active duty or died after reaching retirement eligibility
  • Can my spouse obtain AER assistance if I’m deployed or TDY?

    Yes, provided your Spouse has Special Power of Attorney and a Valid Military ID Card.

  • Is there a dollar limit on AER Assistance?

    Every request is unique and considered on an individual basis. Some categories of assistance have dollar limits while others have requirements related to grants versus loans.

Read more FAQs